Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wedding hair and makeup?

Does anyone know a good chain salon that would do hair and makeup but doesn't break your wallet? I've checked around local salons in my area and their special occasion/updo/prom/formal rate for hair styling is around $65 and makeup about $55. I just want neutral makeup and simple yet elegant bun!!





Unfortunately, I'm not good at styling my hair nor putting on makeup. And guess what .. I only have ONE good female friend and she's currently abroad. I'm pretty sure my fiance and my best male friends can't do the job. My family is also living abroad. So yeah .. I need help! I wish I didn't go to an engineering school that has 90% male students!! lolWedding hair and makeup?
Well hair wise updos always cost more than just blow-dries. They just take more time...





For the make-up: Are you near a store that carries MAC? If so you can get your make-up done there. There's usually a $50 purchase requirement but at least you get to keep the make-up as opposed to just paying for the application.





Edit: Part of the wedding day rip-off? $55 and $65 is a decent price to pay. I also suggested you go to the MAC counter because then the application is free. All you have to do is buy the product.





The people charging you the $55 and $65 are employees at a salon which means they are either getting paid by the hour or they are paying rent to the salon. Either way they are spending at least an hour with you. If they were going to drive to your house the cheapest I've heard my colleages do it is for $100 or $150. Why? Because they have to lug their kit to someone's place and they are using their own gas and their own products.That's a bit more pricey but still not expensive.





So the $55 and $65 are hardly a rip-off. You are getting a good deal.Wedding hair and makeup?
what Nolie said is a good idea





some of them might do it for free since they don't have the certificate yet, and that can work for them as extra credit


just ask to practice one day so you can see if its good





when i was in a boarding school every year we had a formal Thanksgiving dinner so a bunch of hair student came and did our hair for free as their teachers evaluate them.
Unfortunately, that price is typical. You can try make-up counters, like Mac or SMashbox, who may be less expensive. Or possibly, you may be able to find a stylist who does hair for weddings on the side. Sorry, I wasn't much help.
Just a thought, if you really wanna go cheap. Go to your local beauty school and ask the instuctor who is about to graduate or who does the best.
$65 and $55 is dirt cheap in the wedding world. I say embrace that price.
You're going to have to do some research and make some phone calls. If you live in a big urban area, salons are more expensive but you have more options. If you live in a smaller town, it will be less expensive but you may not have as many vendors to choose from.





For inexpensive professional makeup, many makeup counters at department stores will apply your makeup at no cost as a ';product demo.'; It's polite to give a tip or buy a few products afterward. Call some makeup places that you like and see what their options are. They won't come to your house, but you'll get professional makeup at a moderate price.





For hair, it's going to be less expensive to go to a salon than have someone come to you. Call around and see what they offer. Say you want an updo, not a bridal hairdo, and you may get a better price.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
domain names